Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2 Keyboard
In Stock: 2 Available
Order now for FREE Delivery on Thursday
Based in downtown San Fransisco and still headed up by Dave Smith himself, Dave Smith Instruments (DSI) make some of the most desired and highly respected synthesizers in musical h... read more
Manufacturer's ID: DSI-2400
What we say:
Based in downtown San Fransisco and still headed up by Dave Smith himself, Dave Smith Instruments (DSI) make some of the most desired and highly respected synthesizers in musical history. Recreating and reimagining famous models form Dave’s Sequential Circuits’ heyday, DSI hand build each and every one of their Prophets and Mofos by hand. Other synths try to capture the magic, depth and flexibility of these wonderful instruments but time and again Dave Smith proves if it isn’t a DSI synth, it doesn’t have that sound.
The Dave Smith Pro 2 is one Godzilla-sounding mono synth! Described by Smith himself as ‘the most powerful mono synth ever’, it’s certainly a very fat sounding instrument and has a character very similar to a mono version of the all-conquering Prophet 12.
Like the Prophet 12, it uses a digital oscillator section (there are 4 of these for super-girth plus a sub oscillator) and matches this with dual analogue filters to shape your signal path before it gets to the amp section, which has additional FM and AM modulations for twisting out bell-tones and other sounds you wouldn’t traditionally expect from this type of synth. Like other DSI keyboards, there is a generously comprehensive amount of controls on board so you can edit and manipulate on the fly without too much menu-diving. Boost and cut frequencies, crush and crash the bit-rate, play with the dual filters and add an excellent ‘tape saturation’ effect to put some context into the sound you’re creating. There’s a powerful step sequencer on board too which syncs with MIDI clock and is routable via the multitude of outputs to allow a high degree of flexibility with your rig.
This huge sounding, massively impressive synth is a very powerful and useful piece of equipment. A good mono synth is a cornerstone of any electronic music studio worth it’s salt and this is right at the top of the pile.
Two New Filters Based on Vintage Designs
At the heart of the Pro 2’s gutsy sound is its all-new dual filter design. Filter 1 is a 4-pole low-pass design inspired by the original Prophet-5 filter. Filter 2 is a state-variable design inspired by the Oberheim SEM and can be continuously varied between low-pass, notch, and high-pass operation, with an optional band-pass mode. The two filters function in either serial or parallel, or anywhere in between. Two of the four oscillators can be routed through Filter 1 with the other two routed through Filter 2 for a broad range of tonal possibilities.
One of the most exciting features of the Pro 2 is its sequencer—possibly the most powerful step sequencer ever designed for a synth. With up to 32 steps and 16 tracks, it provides real-time input, rests, and variable-length sequences. It also syncs to MIDI clock and external audio input. Sequence tracks can control any parameter in the Pro 2’s extensive modulation matrix.
Plays Well with Modulars
The Pro 2’s flexible architecture opens the door to not only processing external audio, but also to interfacing with modular synths through its 4 rear-panel control voltage inputs and outputs and a dedicated gate output. Control voltages can be assigned and routed from within the modulation matrix and can run at audio rates for extreme modulation effects. Some of the many parameters that can be sent to the CV outputs include oscillators, LFOs, envelopes, and sequencer tracks, making the Pro 2 a natural choice for the center of your studio or live setup.
Delays, Envelopes, LFOs, Arpeggiator, and a Multitude of Modulation
The Pro 2’s delay section provides three digital delays with pan, and high-pass and low-pass filtering controls. A fourth delay is a digital bucket-brigade delay (BBD) for analog-style effects. There are four loopable five-stage envelope generators, four syncable LFOs with slew and phase offset, a full-featured arpeggiator, and a sixteen slot modulation matrix with dozens of modulation sources and destinations.
Monophonic by Design, Paraphonic by Choice
The Pro 2 was designed primarily as a super-powerful monosynth, but it’s also a true, four-voice paraphonic synth that allows you to control each of its four oscillators individually with their own envelope. This makes playing four-note chords not only possible, but very expressive.
Package all of this power in a three-and-a-half octave, semi-weighted keyboard with velocity and channel aftertouch, add two backlit pitch and mod wheels and two location and pressure sensitive touch sliders, and you’ve got one of the most feature-rich, awe-inspiring synthesizers ever created.OSCILLATORS
- Four DSP-based oscillators plus one sine wave sub oscillator
- Four classic wave shapes (saw, square, triangle, sine) per oscillator
- Twelve selectable complex shapes per oscillator
- Thirteen Superwaves
- Three noise types per oscillator: white, pink, violet
- Shape modulation/pulse width/superwave detune amount
- Oscillator cross modulation: frequency modulation (FM) and amplitude modulation (AM)
- Hard sync, individual Glide, Oscillator Slop
- True 4-voice paraphonic mode with individually-gated envelopes per oscillator
- Five high-quality digital effects. Thicken the signal and add harmonics or completely destroy the signal pre-filter.
- Girth and Air are high and low shelf equalizers with harmonic excitement. Useful for thickening and/or adding air to the signal.
- Hack and Decimate are sample and bit rate reduction algorithms which can add subtle grit or completely trash the signal. It’s harsh yet musical.
- Drive is a soft saturator for adding soft distortion and harmonic content to the signal
- Dual analog filters operate in serial or parallel
- Filter 1 is a 4-pole resonant analog low-pass filter inspired by the original Prophet-5 filter.
- Filter 2 is a 2-pole resonant analog state-variable filter inspired by the Oberheim SEM filter and can be continuously varied between low-pass, notch, and high-pass operation, with an optional band-pass mode.
- Oscillator Split allows oscillators 1 & 2 to be sent to Filter 1 and oscillators 3 & 4 to Filter 2.
- Tuned feedback
- Three-tap syncable delays with feedback and amount controls, pan, and high-pass and low-pass filtering, all per delay. A separate fourth delay is a digital bucket-brigade delay (BBD) for analog-style effects.
- Five Delay + ADSR envelopes (Filter 1, Filter 2, VCA , and two Auxiliary envelopes)
- Auxiliary envelopes 4 and 5 freely assignable to multiple modulation destinations
- All envelopes can repeat/loop
- Four syncable LFOs with phase offset and slew per LFO
- 16 x 2 modulation matrix with over 50 mod sources and over 140 mod destinations
- Modulation assignment buttons enable quick and easy modulation routing.
- Mod Matrix runs up to audio rates.
- Four 1-volt-per-octave control voltage inputs and outputs for interfacing with modular synths and other CV-compatible devices
- Parameters that can be sent to CV outputs include oscillators, LFOs, envelopes, sequencer tracks and any other source within the modulation matrix. Runs up to audio rates
- Gate Out for triggering external CV-compatible devices; any CV in can be used as a gate input.
- Advanced step sequencer with two modes: 16 steps x 16 tracks or 32 steps x 8 tracks
- Supports real-time input, rests, and variable-length sequences
- Syncs to MIDI clock and external audio and CV input
- Sequences can control not only oscillator pitch but any parameter in the modulation matrix.
- Sophisticated arpeggiator with up, down, up+down, random, assign modes
- Syncs to MIDI clock and external audio and CV inputs
- Re-latching arpeggiation
- Stereo analog distortion
- More than 50 knobs and 65 buttons enable deep and comprehensive editing with minimal menu diving.
- Backlit pitch and mod wheels are easily visible in low-light situations and have a smooth yet precise feel and response.
- Independently adjustable upper and lower pitch wheel range
- Two assignable position- and pressure-sensitive latchable touch sliders for enhanced interactivity and control
- Full-sized, three-and-a-half-octave, semi-weighted keyboard with velocity and aftertouch
- 396 user and 396 factory programs
- Playlist mode for generating easily accessible setlists of your favorite programs
- 1 MIDI In, 1 MIDI Out, and 1 MIDI Thru/Out 2 port
- USB port for bidirectional MIDI communication
- 4 CV inputs (4 x 1/8″ jack)
- 4 CV outputs (4 x 1/8″ jack)
- 1 Gate Out (1/8″ jack)
- 1 Sustain/footswitch input
- 1 Expression pedal input
- 1 External audio input (1/4″ phone jack)
- Main stereo output (2 x 1/4″ phone jack)
- Headphone out (stereo 1/4″ phone jack)
- 1 universal IEC AC power inlet for internal power supply
- Operates worldwide on voltages between 100-240v, 50-60Hz, 30 watts maximum power consumption
- Walnut end panels and trim
- 29.2″ L x 12.8″ W x 4.15″ H (74.2 cm x 32.5 cm x 10.5 cm)
- 18.7 lbs. (8.5 kg)