Manufacturer's ID: NOVSYNTH03UKEU
What we say:
This synth has seriously impressed us here at guitarguitar! It's a fully analogue mono synth with loads of control and massive low-end! It's full of cool features and sounds for sure but it's the playability and fun that keeps us coming back to it!
So the signal path is completely analogue: the only digital parts are the memory (so you can save patches) and a feature for keeping the tuning rock solid and correct. Analogue synths do tend to drift a little so this is a most welcome addition! In terms of the synth path itself, you have 2 oscillators and a sub oscillator at your disposal to play with. Fire these through the LFO and ADSR sliders then filter your sounds through one of two included analogue filters: 'classic' and 'acid' for more aggressive frequency responses. There are also two separate overdrive circuits on the Bass Station and you can blast them both simultaneously to really grunge up your signal.
The fun doesn't end there: there's also a step sequencer and a pattern arpeggiator to let you build up riffs and sequences with 16 steps! You can power this crunchy, fat synth by mains or USB if you want to, which is really useful when plug spaces are a premium! The 25 velocity-sensitive keys feel solid and pleasurable to play and there's assignable aftertouch too. For a list of features, that's pretty great! And the best part is, it's a fantastic sounding synth! We honestly don't understand why every electronic musician doesn't have one of these!
- Ableton Live Lite music making software
- 4 GB of Loopmasters sounds and samples
- Free Melodics Lessons
- New plugins and offers regularly with Sound Collective
Bass Station II’s signal path is all analogue, including the effects section. It is based on three analogue oscillators (two independent oscillators plus a sub for rich bass sounds) and a noise generator; two discrete filters, Classic and Acid, with built-in overdrive; Distortion and Osc Filter Mod effects; two ADSR envelopes, two LFOs, and an Arpeggiator and programmable Step Sequencer. And that’s just scratching the surface of the synth engine. Bass Station II’s traditional control layout breaks everything into modules with dedicated pots, switches and sliders. Unlike a traditional analogue synth, there’s plenty of storage for your own sounds – there are 64 factory presets plus 64 more slots for your own sounds in the hardware – and you can store more on your computer.
- Analogue synthesizer: brand new version of the classic BassStation
- Two distinct analogue filters: A brand new ‘Acid’ filter joins the ‘Classic’ original BassStation filter
- Bass Station II ships with 64 factory patches and a further 64 user slots. Patch dump enables you to archive and swap sounds
- Pattern-based Step Sequencer and Arpeggiator
- Analogue synth layout includes dedicated controls for all major parameters
- Two Oscillators plus an additional Sub Oscillator
- Analogue effects section: Bass Station II includes fully analogue distortion and filter-modulation effects and a separate filter overdrive to add an aggressive, crunchy sound-quality
- Flexible modulation featuring 2 Envelopes and 2 LFOs
- MIDI I/O and USB connectivity
- Players 'synth-action' keyboard with aftertouch
Bass Station II is built on three analogue oscillators and a noise generator. There are two fully independent oscillators plus a sub oscillator (which is the critical component in creating rich, analogue bass sounds). Oscillators One and Two are switchable between sine, sawtooth, square and variable pulse width, and Oscillator Three - the sub osc - can be set to one or two octaves below Oscillator One. It can be square, sine or narrow pulse width, delivering the characteristically ‘fat’ bass tone.
You can select between two discrete filters - ‘Acid’ or ‘Classic’ - each with a built in overdrive for pushing filter tones from dry, to warm, to nasty! The ‘Classic’ BassStation filter can be switched between low pass, high pass and band pass at 12 or 24dB slopes. The ‘Acid’ filter is based on a diode ladder filter design that delivers a characteristically 303-esque sound that is designed to squelch!
Bass Station II has two effects (not including the filter overdrive). Analogue distortion drives circuit components to add new frequencies to the sound. Bass Station II’s Distortion function can add gentle warmth, filthy granularity and anything in between. The second effect is ‘Osc Filter Mod’ which creates a distinctive FM-type sound by using Oscillator Two to modulate the filter frequency. This is very good at crunchy, sound-mulching effects that substantially fatten up bass and lead patches.
There are two envelope generators and two low frequency oscillators (LFOs). The first envelope is an ADSR amp envelope and the second is a mod envelope that can be used to modulate filter frequency, oscillator pitch and osc pulse width. LFO One is dedicated to pitch modulation whereas LFO Two is used to modulate osc pulse width and filter frequency. Although it looks like there are four LFO waveforms, the ‘LFO Slew’ function can be used freely to sculpt LFOs into smoother wave-shapes.
Arpeggiator and Step Sequencer
Bass Station II’s Arpeggiator and Step Sequencer are killer performance and production tools. The Arp can be directed to run through 32 different rhythmic patterns in different directions with a switchable octave range. You can also engage the Step Sequencer. Up to four sequences can be played in – with legato and rests – and played back using any one of the 32 rhythmic patterns. As well as getting ideas down quickly and programming performance sequences, this is a brilliant way to preview patches whilst you are editing your Bass Station II Analogue Mono Synthesizer.
Helping you find your new sound
Music making is all about the journey, and we’re always looking for new ways to inspire you along the way. That’s why we’ve created the Sound Collective. Receive free versions of the most innovative software instruments and creative FX from developers we admire, as well as discounts to help you make the most of third-party software, exclusive to Novation customers. All you have to do is register your Novation gear, and one offer will be featured in your Novation account every couple of months.Specifications
- Hardware & controller assignment
- 25 note synth-action keyboard
- Aftertouch can be assigned to modulate:
- Filter frequency
- LFO 1to Osc pitch
- Osc 2 speed
- Pitch wheel
- Modulation wheel can be assigned to:
- LFO 2 to filter frequency
- LFO 1 to Osc pitch
- Osc 2 pitch
- Octave up/ down buttons
- 64 factory presets
- 64 slots for user patches (and patch dump facility for storing more)
- Master volume dial
- USB MIDI (for connecting & powering Bass Station II via host computer)
- Mono output on 1/4" TRS jack
- Headphone output on 1/4" TRS jack
- External input on 1/4" TRS jack
- Sustain pedal input on 1/4" TS jack
- MIDI IN / MIDI OUT ports on 5 pin din
- DC power input
- Switch between power off / DC powered / bus powered
What's In The Box
- Novation Bass Station II
- Power Supply
Order before 3PM for FREE Delivery Tomorrow