Dave Smith Instruments Prophet 12 Keyboard
In Stock: 2 Available
Order now for FREE Delivery on Monday
Based in downtown San Fransisco and still headed up by Dave Smith himself, Dave Smith Instruments (DSI) make some of the most desired and highly respected synthesizers in musical h... read more
Manufacturer's ID: DSI-2300
What we say:
Based in downtown San Fransisco and still headed up by Dave Smith himself, Dave Smith Instruments (DSI) make some of the most desired and highly respected synthesizers in musical history. Recreating and reimagining famous models form Dave’s Sequential Circuits’ heyday, DSI hand build each and every one of their Prophets and Mofos by hand. Other synths try to capture the magic, depth and flexibility of these wonderful instruments but time and again Dave Smith proves if it isn’t a DSI synth, it doesn’t have that sound.
If we were to describe this synth in one word, we’d use this one: MONUMENTAL. Read on if you wish but we recommend clicking the ‘Add to Basket’ button up there and just relaxing, happy in the knowledge that one of the most incredible sounding, satisfying synthesizers on the planet is now winging it’s way to you!
The Prophet 12 is a hybrid synth. The endless, spurious debate on digital vs analogue is pretty boring these days so let’s say that this Californian, hand made synth designed by a true innovator is just about as good as it gets. It uses analog and digital technology to serve up sounds from the past, present and future in a glowing, incredible basket of greatness. It’s a 12 voice synth and each of those voices can have up to four digital oscillators working for it, plus a sub oscillator. Fire these through the analogue filter section and then on to the digital effects. It’s true Hybridisation.
Control every parameter of your sound directly from the front panel: you have complete and instant control over your sound, right at your fingertips. Like the other DSI keyboards, the controls are configured in sensible locations to make editing logical and straightforward. Sync the LFOs, introduce an arpeggiation, manipulate the Curtis low-pass filter, add some sophisticated digital delay lines…you palette for creation on this machine is just massive. The Prophet 12 is actually Dave Smith’s own favourite synth of all of the ones he has created. If that isn’t a badge of honour, we don’t know what is!
The Prophet Sings
The Prophet 12’s brand new hybrid voice has a digital front end followed by an all analog signal path output. Each voice has four high resolution digital oscillators (plus a sub oscillator), a digital character effects section, a resonant Curtis low-pass filter, a high-pass filter, a tune-able feedback circuit, a four-tap delay line with feedback per line, four loopable five-stage envelope generators, four syncable LFOs with slew and phase offset, a sophisticated arpeggiator, and a sixteen slot modulation matrix with 26 mod sources and 97 modulation destinations. The Prophet 12 is packed with a plethora of sonic potential and power!
The digital oscillators can be frequency and amplitude modulated by each other with incredible accuracy. They can be freely assigned in whatever operator and modulator configurations you would choose. You can even assign each of the oscillators to modulate LFOs, envelopes, and filters.The Prophet Controls
The Prophet’s sleek and instinctive interface invites full control of the synth. Every parameter is fully programmable and editable from the front panel. The controls are laid out in a coherent and logical fashion allowing quick and precise access in the studio and on stage.
The Prophet’s full-sized, five-octave, semi-weighted keyboard with velocity and channel aftertouch is rugged without sacrificing great feel and playability. Two backlit, smooth and precise pitch and mod wheels are accompanied by two location and pressure sensitive touch sliders. The Prophet offers a myriad of controls for creation and performance of its innovative sounds.A Prophecy for the Future
The Prophet 12 is the most cutting edge hybrid synthesizer on the market and defines what a modern polyphonic synthesizer is. Designed and manufactured in San Francisco, the Prophet 12 has a glorious combination of form and function in a sturdy, yet refined and elegant build.
Dave has been a pioneer in the field for 35 years. After creating such greats as the Prophet-5, ’08, and VS, this is his favorite Prophet yet!OSCILLATORS
- Five DSP-based oscillators per voice (including one sine wave sub oscillator)
- Four classic wave shapes (saw, square, triangle, sine) per oscillator
- Twelve selectable complex shapes per oscillator
- Three noise types per oscillator: white, pink, violet
- Analog VCAs
- Shape modulation
- Oscillator cross modulation: frequency modulation (FM) and amplitude modulation (AM)
- DX-style linear FM
- Hard sync on each of the four oscillators
- Five high-quality digital effects. Thicken the signal and add harmonics or completely destroy the signal pre-filter.
- Girth and Air are high and low shelf equalizers with harmonic excitement. Useful for thickening and/or adding air to the signal.
- Hack and Decimate are sample and bit rate reduction algorithms which can add subtle grit or completely destroy the signal. It’s harsh yet musical!
- Drive is a soft saturator for adding soft distortion and harmonic content to the signal
- Famed Curtis 2- or 4-pole resonant analog low-pass filter (self oscillates in 4-pole mode) per voice
- 2-pole resonant analog high-pass filter per voice
- Tuned feedback
- Four-tap syncable multi delay with feedback and amount per delay per voice
- Four Delay + ADSR envelopes (LPF, VCA , and two Auxiliary envelopes)
- Auxiliary envelopes 3 and 4 freely assignable to multiple modulation destinations
- All envelopes can repeat/loop
- Four syncable LFO’s with phase offset and slew per LFO
- 16 x 2 modulation matrix with 26 mod sources and 100 mod destinations
- Modulation assignment buttons enable quick and easy modulation routing
- Sophisticated programmable arpeggiator with up, down, up+down, random, assign modes
- Arpeggios are editable and saveable
- Re-latching arpeggiator
- MIDI note output
- Independent programmable stereo analog distortion per layer.
- More than 50 knobs and 50 buttons enable deep and comprehensive editing with little to no menu diving.
- Backlit pitch and mod wheels are easily visible in low light situations and have a smooth yet precise feel and response.
- Independently adjustable upper and lower pitch wheel range.
- Two assignable position- and pressure-sensitive latchable touch sliders for enhanced interactivity and control.
- Full-sized, 5-Octave, semi-weighted keyboard with velocity and channel aftertouch
- 396 user and 396 factory programs
- Direct program access using numeric keypad and dedicated User, Factory, and Bank buttons
- Playlist mode for generating easily accessible setlists of your favorite programs. Create four play lists with up to forty programs each!
- 1 MIDI In, 1 MIDI out, and 1 MIDI Thru port
- USB port for bidirectional MIDI communication
- 1 Sustain/footswitch input
- 2 expression pedal inputs
- Main stereo output (2 x 1/4″ phone jack)
- Layer B stereo output (2 x 1/4″ phone jack)
- Headphone out (stereo 1/4″ phone jack)
- 1 universal IEC AC power inlet for internal power supply
- Operates worldwide on voltages between 100-240v, 50-60Hz, 30 watts maximum power consumption
- Walnut wood end panels and trim
- 38.4″ L x 12.8″ W x 4.15″ H (97.5 cm x 32.5 cm x 10.5 cm)
- 26 lbs. (11.8 kg)