In Stock4 Available
Order now for FREE Delivery on Monday
Frequently Bought Together
Manufacturer's ID: BMW-RED
What we say:
If there's one piece of trivia that most fair-weather rock fans know, it's that Brian May from Queen plays only one guitar, his 'Red Special' and that he and his father made from pieces of an old fireplace. Classic stuff.
This faithful recreation of Brian's homemade masterpiece retains all of the idiosyncratic charm of the original, from the body shape to the pickups to the switching options.
This most current version of the BMG Red Special is the best spec'd yet: as well as a lovely ebony fretboard, you also get a Wilkinson tremolo with a custom tremolo arm. The neck is slightly shorter than most guitars with a 24" scale length and a full two octave fretboard. The pickups are the correct tri-sonic models, complete with individual on/off switches and phase switching.
Needless to say, this sensibly upgraded and lovingly designed tribute to May's Red Special goes some way to getting you his distinctive tone. The chambered mahogany body supplies a degree of midrange strength to the series-wound single coil pickups. Experimenting with the phase switch reaps rewards in cloning May's sound: it can really thicken up the single coils and give those great harmonic overtones. Forgive the pun but this guitar Will Rock You!
SpecificationIn fact it delivers everything you'd expect from an instrument built to the exacting standards of one of the world's greatest guitarists but, in keeping with Brian's vision of a "guitar for the people", with an amazingly affordable price-tag that belies its superior appointments and performance.
- Mahogany body (with acoustic chamber) with Pinstripe binding
- New two-piece scratch plate
- Mahogany neck
- 24" scale (Depth: 22mm at 1st fret ... 24mm at 12th fret)
- 24 fret - ebony fingerboard (width 45mm at 0 fret ... 57mm at 24th fret)
- Grover GH305 locking tuners
- Dual truss rod
- Graphite nut
- New bridge & Brass saddles
- BM Custom tremolo arm
- 3 x Burns Tri-Sonic pickups (series wired)
- Master Volume & Tone controls
- Original BM switching system
- Individual pickup IN/OUT phase plus Individual pickup ON/OFF