Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+ Short Head
Manufacturer's ID: 225PXBB
What we say:
Mesa/Boogie is the lifelong work of Randall Smith, a drummer, saxophonist and amp repairman who, in the late 60s San Francisco in the midst of the hippy scene, worked away in his mountain shack perfecting what became the world’s first cascading gain guitar combo. After showing it to Carlos Santana and receiving the comment ‘Man, this thing really Boogies!’, Smith released the first Mesa/Boogie amp, the Mark I. Always the innovator, he also invented the world’s first channel switching amp (the Mark II in 1980) and redefined high gain distortion for everyone in 1991 with the game-changing Dual Rectifier.
Since then Smith and his team at Petaluma, California have continued to innovate and produce completely hand-made amps-as-instruments that lead the way in terms of tone, build quality, vision and possibility.
Mesa’s Express range has always been a killer buy: you get an extremely well put together all-valve combo that has two footswitchable channels, valve reverb and a 5-band graphic EQ, all hand made and coming in a price that’s more attainable that Mesa’s top range Mark V amps whilst sharing a lot of that amp’s functionality.
The channels themselves have mini-switches to change their character: the clean channel can also be ‘Crunch’ whilst the drive channel can be set to either ‘Blues’ or ‘Burn’. Each channel has it’s own set of controls with gain, EQ and reverb knobs plus there is the footswitchable 5 Band graphic EQ (this is global) that can powerfully sculpt your tone.
A Power switch can set the power from 25watts down to 5w and even 1w for low power recording/lower headroom for the drive sounds. This amount of control is extremely impressive and the resulting tones are deep, complex, three dimensional and very impressive. This short head could be the solution for a lot of guitarists.
All-Tube and Hand-Built in Mesa's only shop in Petaluma, CA, the Express Plus offers genre-defining sounds, near-limitless versatility and unbeatable value that others can only imitate. How do they do it? They've been doing this for 44 years with all the same people…it’s their Experience – and there are no shortcuts to that. The new Express Plus amplifiers feature four exciting new features that bring them even closer to the flagship status of Mesa's award-winning MARK FIVE.CUSTOM DESIGNED AND HANDCRAFTED IN PETALUMA, CALIFORNIA
- All Tube Amplifiers: 2xEL-84 Power Tubes & 5x12AX7 Preamp Tubes
- Fixed Bias for consistent, maintenance free performance
- Patented Multi-Watt™, Channel Assignable Power Amp featuring Duo-Class™ and Dyna-Watt™ technologies providing three power and two operating class options that are channel assignable via independent Multi-Watt Power Switches
- 2 Fully Independent Channels with 4 Style Modes: Ch 1: Clean or Crunch - Ch 2: Blues or Burn Modes
- Express Modes
- Each Channel Features: Gain, Treble, Mid, Bass, Footswitchable Reverb, Master, Footswitchable or Assignable Preset Contour Control & Multi-Watt Power Switch
- Selectable 5-Band Graphic EQ or Preset “V-Curve” Contour Controls – Footswitchable or Channel Assignable
- All-Tube, Long Spring Reverb with Independent Channel Controls
- Fully Buffered FX Loop
- Footswitchable Solo Level Control (Patent 6,724,897) – Over all channels when activated
- External Switching Jacks for Channel 1/2, Reverb, EQ & Solo
- All Aluminum Chassis
- 4 Button Footswitch (Channel1/2, Reverb, EQ & Solo)
- Slip Cover
Order now for FREE Delivery on Friday